A full tummy tuck is also referred to as formal abdominoplasty and is a cosmetic surgery designed to remove excess skin and fat in the abdominal area. The procedure also entails strengthened or weakened abdominal muscles in order to deliver a firmer and flatter belly profile. This type of tummy tuck is very popular, especially with women who have been through a pregnancy, and individuals who have lost significant weight. If you are looking forward to undergoing a complete abdominoplasty in Baton Rouge, this article will guide you through this cosmetic treatment.
Ideal candidate for a full tummy tuck
Formal abdominoplasty is a popular cosmetic procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the abdominal region while also strengthening weakened abdominal muscles. You may be an ideal candidate for this cosmetic treatment if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health.
- You wish to have a large amount of excess fat and skin removed.
- You have diastasis rectus as a result of pregnancy or other causes.
- You are able to devote time to recovery.
- You have realistic expectations about the outcome of this procedure.
Complete abdominoplasty is the most common aesthetic surgery targeting the abdominal region. However, it is important to keep in mind that this treatment is not for everyone. A plastic surgeon is uniquely positioned to examine your abdominal region and let you know whether you are the right fit for this treatment. In some cases, Dr. Ruston Sanchez may recommend that you have a mini tummy tuck, liposuction, or an extended tummy tuck.
Benefits of a full tummy tuck
A full tummy tuck is the standard abdominal recontouring procedure that offers many unique benefits:
- Removes hanging skin – significant weight loss may leave your body with excessive loose skin and folds that hardly respond to exercise or dieting. In addition to ruining your newfound body contour, these folds may also result in rashes or skin infections. A fully tummy tuck removes excess skin to reveal a firmer and flatter midsection contour.
- Eliminates stretch marks – stretch marks are a common complaint especially among women who have been through a pregnancy. Significant weight loss may also result in unsightly stretch marks that make you self-conscious particularly when wearing certain clothes such as bathing suits. A formal abdominoplasty eliminates loose skin and thus removes stretch marks from the entire abdominal area.
- Results in a flatter abdomen – one of the biggest advantage of a total abdominoplasty is that it results in a narrower waistline. During the procedure, the plastic surgeon will address imperfections such as hanging skin and isolated fat deposits. Separated abdominal muscles (which is common among women who have been through a pregnancy) are also strengthened. You’ll notice that you have an improved, naturally leaner profile.
- Better fitting clothing – stubborn fat deposits and skin laxity around the abdominal area can make wearing certain items of clothing less comfortable. Loose skin may not conform to tight clothing and you may be unable to wear your favorite outfits during those special events. A full tummy tuck will smooth out all abdominal imperfections so you can look great in a variety of clothes.
In addition to these aesthetic benefits, formal abdominoplasty can also result in medical benefits such as improved posture, repair of ventral hernia, and reduced stress urinary incontinence.
Full tummy tuck procedure
Formal abdominoplasty is an outpatient procedure that is usually performed under general anesthesia. The plastic surgeon will create an incision from hip bone to hip bone right beneath the bikini line. In cases where more fat and skin need to be excised, this incision may go beyond the hips. The surgeon will then use the incision to perform the required reshaping. Separated muscles are reinforced and loose skin is tightened. Minor liposuction may be integrated into the treatment in order to help get rid of excess fat. Dr. Ruston – and other top plastic surgeons – make a point to conceal scars where they will be hardly visible.
Recovery after formal abdominoplasty
Recovery after a total abdominoplasty will vary from one patient to the other. However, most of Dr. Ruston’s patients in Louisiana are able to resume routine activities within 2-4 weeks. You will be required to take it easy over the first few days. Having someone to help around with chores can be very practical. As soon as you are able to after surgery, take light walks in order to reduce the risk of severe complications such as blood clots. You will be required to wear a special abdominal binder to hold your surgical dressings in place. In many cases, a drain is also inserted over the first week in order to get rid of excess fluid from the treatment area. Most patients experience swelling and bruising, but with are easily controlled with medication. It may take up to 8 weeks before you are able to engage in strenuous activities such as vigorous exercising. Dr. Ruston’s office is available throughout the recovery duration in order to provide the support you need.
What is the cost of a full tummy tuck?
The cost of abdominoplasty plastic surgery will vary from one patient to the other depending on the extensiveness of the treatment, the surgeon’s experience level, and other factors. Most tummy tuck patients in Baton Rouge can however expect to pay anywhere between $9,000 and $13,000 for a formal abdominoplasty. Health insurance typically does not cover procedures that are performed for aesthetic reasons. Dr. Ruston’s office will provide you with a cost breakdown so you can make plans for financing your abdominoplasty surgery.