For over two decades, breast augmentation has remained among the top and most beneficial cosmetic surgeries in the world. Techniques have improved dramatically since the 1990s and plastic surgeons have perfected their craft. As a result, the majority of breast enlargement procedures are completed with a high degree of success. Nearly 98% of women who have this cosmetic surgery say that it was worth it. To ensure that the procedure turns out a success, it is important to work with talented plastic surgeons. Patients should also understand the requirements and figure out whether they qualify for this surgery or not.
Ideal breast enlargement candidates
Cosmetic surgeons use a certain criteria to determine whether patients are suited for this plastic surgery or not. In order to be qualified as an ideal candidate, you must meet the following requirements.
- Physical health – you must be in good overall health and shouldn’t suffer from serious illnesses or infections. Your plastic surgeon will ask you to share your comprehensive medical history as well as conduct certain tests to assess your suitability.
- Emotional health – many plastic surgeons require that you are in good emotional health before they perform breast enlargement surgery. This is important to ensure that you are able to cope with the procedure and the resulting recovery process.
- Breast appearance – women who have lost breast volume, have sagging, asymmetrical or drooping breasts may benefit from breast enlargement surgery.
- Expectations – while breast augmentation surgery can certainly enhance the size and volume of your breasts, it cannot fix body image issues that you may experience. For this reason, plastic surgeons require that you have realistic expectations about the outcome of this procedure.
- Benefits and risks – just like any other cosmetic procedure, breast enlargement has its benefits and risks. Patients must clearly understand these before they qualify as good candidates for this transformative cosmetic surgery.
- Age – women must be at least 18 years of age to qualify for FDA-approved saline implants and 22 years of age to qualify for silicone breast implants.
- Time – good candidates for cosmetic breast surgery must have time to rest and recover from the procedure. You may need to take a few weeks off work to generally just take it easy.
Think you meet all of these requirements or have questions? The first step towards your breast enlargement surgery is to schedule a one-on-one consultation visit with our board certified Baton Rouge plastic surgeon – Dr. Ruston Sanchez.