Patients who are considering plastic surgery to address undesirable changes or functional issues in various parts of their body have numerous options to choose from. However, the majority of plastic surgeries are not covered by insurance and thus you need to pay for the treatment out of your own pocket. Learning how much the procedure you need costs, and what factors influence the cost of plastic surgery, can help you prepare ahead and set the stage for a smoother experience. This article explores the factors that will affect how much you pay and looks into the average cost of some of the most common plastic surgeries in Baton Rouge.
Factors affecting the cost of plastic surgery
The cost of your plastic surgery procedure will be influenced by considerations such as:
- Type of procedure – the type of procedure you have will have a profound impact on how much you pay for plastic surgery. For instance, patients who are undergoing more complicated plastic surgeries such as bariatric surgery can expect to pay much more than those who need a simpler, localized treatment such as lower belly liposuction.
- The intensity of the procedure – the comprehensiveness of your plastic surgery treatment will also have a bearing on the cost. For example, a patient who is looking forward to having a mini tummy tuck can expect to pay as little as a third of the cost that is covered by someone who needs a comprehensive tummy tuck.
- Cost of materials – in many cases, you are able to select what types of materials are used during your plastic surgery. For instance, women who are undergoing breast augmentation in order to improve the size and volume of their breasts can choose to either use saline or silicone implants. Saline implants tend to be cheaper compared to the more advanced silicone implants.
- Surgeon’s experience – the surgeon’s experience level will affect their surgical rates. Seasoned practitioners who have years of experience can obviously be expected to charge more compared to newer hands.
- Access to facilities – with most procedures, you are asked to pay a surgical fee that is separate from the surgeon’s fee. The rate you are subjected to will be dependent on the prestige and quality of the facility.
- Anesthesia fees – plastic surgeons often work with anesthesiologists in order to ensure your comfort and safety during treatment. Anesthesiologist fees are usually treated as separate.
- Medication and follow-up visits – following plastic surgery treatment, surgeons typically prescribe pain medication to alleviate discomfort and antibiotics to prevent infections. These costs are easy to ignore but nonetheless contribute to your total treatment expenditure. Also, keep in mind the costs associated with future visits to the plastic surgeon’s office if need be.
Cost of 5 most common plastic surgeries in Baton Rouge
Let’s look at the average cost of the most common (cosmetic) plastic surgeries in Baton Rouge.
- Nose reshaping – also referred to as rhinoplasty, this procedure was the most common cosmetic surgery in 2020 (according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Nose reshaping aims to alter the structure of the nose in order to improve either form or function. Patients in Baton Rouge can expect to pay between $4,000 and $6,000 for this treatment.
- Eyelid surgery – eyelid surgery is a cosmetic treatment that repairs droopy eyelids usually by removing excess skin, fat, and muscle tissue. This was the second most common cosmetic surgery in 2020 and patients can expect to pay between $4,000 and $5,500 for this treatment.
- Facelift – also referred to as rhytidectomy, a facelift creates a younger facial appearance by reducing sagging folds of skin on the cheeks and jawline. This was the third most common cosmetic surgery in 2020. Baton Rouge patients can expect to pay between $7,000 and $9,000 for this treatment.
- Liposuction – this is a surgical procedure that removes stubborn pockets of fat in specific parts of the body using a special suction device known as a cannula. Patients in Baton Rouge can expect to pay anywhere between $3,000 and $6,000 depending on the target area and the intensity of their liposuction.
- Breast augmentation – breast augmentation was the fifth most common cosmetic surgery procedure based on 2020 statistics by the ASPS. This aesthetic treatment aims to improve a woman’s breast size and volume either using artificial implants or fat tissue from the patient’s own body. The cost of breast augmentation averaged around $5,000 in 2020.
Keep in mind that some plastic surgeries (especially reconstructive procedures) are considered to be medically necessary and are thus paid for by health insurers. During your initial consultation visit with Dr. Ruston Sanchez, the surgeon will examine your problem area, discuss treatment approaches, and provide an individualized cost estimate.