Tummy tuck – also known as abdominoplasty – is one of the more popular cosmetic procedures in the US. In 2019, more than 118,200 of these procedures were completed in the US alone (according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons). In 2020, there were 97,988 tummy tucks recorded in the country, even with the COVID-19 pandemic. Most patients who undergo this cosmetic treatment are happy with the outcome of the procedure. The key for patients is to work with a seasoned plastic surgeon. Take the time to learn as much as possible about this treatment and debunk any myths you may have acquired. Another important consideration for individuals who are looking to have a tummy tuck in Baton Rouge LA is cost.
Cost of a tummy tuck in 2021
The cost of abdominoplasty surgery in Louisiana will vary from one patient to the other depending on a number of factors such as:
- Extent of the procedure – there are different types of tummy tuck procedures. A mini tummy tuck only addresses the area below the belly button, while a full tummy tuck will address the area below and above the belly button. A comprehensive tummy tuck is the most comprehensive type of tummy tuck that reshapes the entire midsection contour. The cost of the surgery can vary dramatically based on the type of procedure selected. For instance, while a mini tummy tuck can cost as little as $5,000, patients can expect to pay as much as $20,000 for a comprehensive tummy tuck.
- The volume of fat removed – different patients have varying needs when it comes to abdominal recontouring. The surgeon may need to accomplish several things such as fat removal, excess skin removal, muscle tightening, skin tightening and lifting, as well as muscle repair and reshaping. The more comprehensive the tummy tuck, the more you can expect to pay for the surgery.
- Size of the area – naturally, different patients will have varying body sizes. This means that given the same procedure, the amount of work that plastic surgeons need to do will vary from one individual to the other. Patients who have a limited amount of fat in the lower abdomen and good skin elasticity will benefit from a very minimal procedure. As a result, the cost of their tummy tuck would be much cheaper compared to individuals who need extensive reshaping.
- Type of anesthesia used – plastic surgeons may choose to use general or local anesthesia in order to ensure your comfort and safety throughout the surgery. The dosage needed will vary based on how long the procedure takes and how much the patient weights. General anesthesia tends to be affordable than local anesthesia, with prices ranging from $400 to $1,800. The cost of local anesthesia can range from $500 to $3,500.
- Number of treatments integrated – for some patients, just re-contouring their abdomen is enough to achieve the aesthetic outcome that they desire. In some other cases, more cosmetic treatments will need to be integrated in order to achieve a holistic result. The cost of abdominoplasty surgery will undoubtedly go up if you choose to include liposuction or minimally-invasive skin tightening treatments.
Does insurance pay for tummy tuck surgery?
Abdominoplasty is generally considered to be an elective cosmetic procedure. For this reason, most health insurers do not pay for this plastic surgery treatment. You’d thus need to pay for this treatment from out of pocket. During your initial consultation, Ruston Sanchez Plastic Surgery will provide an individualized cost breakdown so you can make arrangements for financing. In some cases, such as when the procedure is required to repair a hernia, your health insurer may cover the cost of this treatment.
Regardless of your reason(s) to have an abdominoplasty, this is a truly transformative procedure that can improve your midsection and buoy your sense of self-image and confidence. Most men and women who seek this treatment at Ruston Sanchez Plastic Surgery can expect to pay anywhere between $5,000 and $12,000 for this treatment, but costs can go upwards of $20,000 in some special circumstances. The first step towards your life-changing tummy tuck is to schedule a consultation visit to Ruston Sanchez Plastic Surgery. Our surgeons are some of the best at what they do and will take the time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions with regards to recovery, and create a customized treatment plan to achieve the desired outcome.