SURGICAL EXCISION OF SKIN LESIONS (BATON ROUGE)
Skin Lesion Removal
LA plastic surgeon Dr. Ruston Sanchez has helped numerous men and women from Baton Rouge and surrounding Louisiana areas of Lafayette, Hammond, and New Orleans get rid of worrisome skin lesions through surgery. Dr. Ruston works individually with each one of his patients to find a treatment plan that will produce the desired outcome.
Who is an ideal candidate?
Surgical excision of skin lesions is a procedure to remove abnormal growths in or on the skin surface. This procedure can be performed on men or women who are looking forward to address the following concerns:
- Itchy or irritation on the area with the lesion
- Bothersome skin lesion
- Embarrassed by the lesion
- Anxiety and health concerns due to the skin lesion
- A skin lesion that appears cancerous
During your initial consultation with Dr. Ruston Sanchez, the surgeon will listen to your concerns and evaluate to establish whether this procedure is for you. Dr. Ruston takes each patient case as unique and works to create an individualized treatment plan to achieve a natural, desirable aesthetic look.
Surgical excision of skin lesions is an outpatient procedure that is performed under general or local anesthesia. Dr. Ruston will evaluate the location, size, and type of skin lesion to determine the most appropriate surgical technique. For small and over the surface skin lesions, Dr. Ruston will utilize a sharp razor to cut it off and then use a dermal electrode to improve the shape of the wound and remove growth cells. For deep and large skin lesions, the surgeon will excise the lesion and close the treatment area with sutures. Once the growth is removed, Dr. Ruston will analyze it to determine whether it’s cancerous or can cause further risks.
Types of Skin Lesion Removal Procedures
Dr. Ruston has a range of surgical excision of skin lesion options available at his disposal. The specific method used will be determined by the needs of the patient.
- Shave excision – this procedure is commonly used for lesions that occur above the surface of the skin or in the upper layer of the skin. Dr. Ruston will use a small blade to cut off all or part of the lesion. He will then use a dermal loop electrode to shape the edges to blend with the surrounding skin (electrosurgical feathering). This helps to get rid of growth cells that might have been left behind and minimizes the scar. A prescribed medication will be applied to help prevent bleeding.
- Skin excision – this procedure is commonly used for lesions that occur very deep under the skin. Dr. Ruston will make an ellipse shape excision of the area and remove the entire lesion from very deep down the skin with the fat layer. He will also remove 3-4 millimeters of the surrounding area to ensure the area is completely cleaned. If the lesion removed is too large the surgeon will perform skin grafting or flap normal skin and close it with sutures.
- Simple scissor excision – this procedure is commonly used for lesions that occur above the skin or upper layer. Dr. Ruston will use forceps to hold and pull up the lesion. He will then use small curved scissors to cut around the lesion. Finally, the surgeon will use an instrument used to sand or scrape the skin (curette) to remove any remaining part of the lesion. Certain prescribed medication will be applied to stop bleeding.
- Cryotherapy – this procedure entails super-freezing the lesion to destroy its cells. Dr. Ruston will dip a cotton swab in liquid nitrogen and use it to freeze the lesion area. The area will then blister and peel away. This lesion removal procedure is easy and less time-consuming.
- Electrodessication and curettage – during this procedure, Dr. Ruston will use a high-frequency electrical current to scoop or scrape out the lesion. It is preferred for smaller lesions.
- Laser excision – the surgeon uses a special laser equipment to heat the lesion until it bursts.
Surgical excision of skin lesion typically takes 1-2 hours to complete after which Dr. Ruston will closely monitor the patient before allowing them to go home. Most patients can expect the area to feel tender, sensitive, and bruised but this usually dissipates after a few days. In case of severe discomfort, the surgeon will prescribe pain medication. You will be asked to cover the treatment area and protect from sunshine. A post-operative appointment will be scheduled so that Dr. Ruston can assess your recovery progress. Surgical excision of skin lesion patients can get back to their daily routine after 2-3 weeks. Dr. Ruston will ask you to desist from strenuous activities until you get a green light from him.
SURGICAL EXCISION OF SKIN LESIONS
Plan your Skin Lesion Removal in Baton Rouge
The cost of lesion removal surgery in Louisiana can vary greatly from one patient to the other. On average though, most of Dr. Ruston’s patients can expect to pay anywhere between $500 and $2,000 for this treatment. Dr. Ruston’s office will provide an initial cost estimate following your first appointment. Keep in mind that surgical excision of skin lesion is completed in 1-2 hours and patients can expect a full recovery within 2-3weeks.
Dr. Ruston Sanchez performs surgical excision of skin lesions in accredited health facilities or his in-office operating room, supported by a full-time anesthesiologist and highly qualified support staff. Because this is an outpatient procedure, the surgeon will require that you have someone to drive you home and help out with chores over the first few days.
Meet Dr. Ruston Sanchez
Dr. Ruston takes each patient case as unique and works diligently to achieve the best procedure outcome with faster surgery time, smallest scar possible, and minimal risk of complications. Get in touch with Dr. Ruston’s office today to schedule a consultation visit for your lesion removal procedure.
$500 – $2,000